Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 27

Day 27 - Defeating Temptation

The more you fight a feeling, the more it consumes and controls you.  Don't fight the thought, just change the channel of your mind and get interested in another idea. 

I wish I had read this book in my first year of marriage because I fought the worst fight of my life.  I was OVERCOME with guilty thoughts and I always thought that you had to get the thoughts out of your mind and overcome them.  The Devil was putting awful things inbetween me and Nick and I was making it worse by letting it affect me.  I could have changed the channel of my mind - easier said then done I assume. 

When Satan suggested temptation to Jesus by telling him he was hungry...Jesus didn't argue with Satan, He didn't say I'm not hungry....when tempted to use his power to meet a personal need He simply quoted scripture from memory. 

This is why memorizing Scripture is absolutely essential to defeating temptation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment